Monday, August 25, 2014

Right down to the wire.

Hello ladies.
    I would just like to say that I just got this laptop of mine in the mail today and the first thing I'm doing on it is writing this post. Forty minutes before midnight. I'm trying to avoid the punishment deadline, and am doing so in true college student fashion.
    Because, I'm a college student now. But we'll get to that in a little bit :)\
    But first, I want to reply to all of your posts from last week!
    Mercy- those Supernatural GIFs were en pointe. Much like your beautiful face. And I agree, Gracie isn't allowed to grow up. She's still the twelve-year-old weird grump with bangs, and shall be, always and forever, at least in my mind.
    Rosie- I know, it's weird I left. You should come visit with Mom tomorrow morning. You can meet my roommate who is your twin (and awesome).
    Graaaaaaace- again, happy birthday! You're becoming such a woman *said in gravelly old aunt voice* but I agree. All this change is freaking me out.
    Which brings me to my segue into my main topic: college.
    I'm writing this at 11:30 at night because my laptop didn't get to my mailbox until today. I named her Adelle, because she's a Dell- get it? I actually picked it up from the mailroom today, but then my roommate and our two friends went to dinner (I AM ABSOLUTELY NOT REPLACING THE FOURSOME BUT IF I WAS I WOULD BE ME AND MY ROOMMATE WOULD BE ROSE AND LIBBY WOULD BE GRACE AND MANDY WOULD BE MERCY) immediately after which I had my anatomy lab (I want to kill myself and I'm only in pre-nursing classes. Good Lord) and then the student events council threw the freshman class a free ice cream social, and we met this kid who is a John Green lookalike while waiting in line, and then we walked Libby back to her dorm, and John Green Kid left us for his theater arts meeting, and here I sit.
    It's been a long day. I don't blame you for no doubt skimming the above paragraph.
    But, seriously gurls, college is great. Today was my fifth day on campus and my first day of classes- I'm not a homeschooler anymore. I'm definitely a college freshman- I keep getting horribly lost on campus, I'm feeling awfully nostalgic and homesick, and my friends and I flock to all the free events where they give away food and t-shirts.
    This is where God wants me. He has prepared me for all of this, and I know now that I had nothing to worry about to begin with. I had no idea I was this social. It's freaky. It freaks my roommate out (because she's a Rose) and people keep thinking I'm an RA or an upperclassmen because I'm so unafraid of introducing myself to complete strangers. How did all of this happen? By the grace of God. Praise Him for putting me where I am right now in this place :)
    ***
    And I only have twenty minutes left so I just want to share a quick story that somewhat sums up my experience at Sacred Heart so far:
    A junior at SHU was walking across the street in Bridgeport on Friday when she got hit by a car. She passed away the next morning. We had a vigil for her in the chapel on Friday night, and I sang in the choir- my first ever choir experience was that unexpected, that sad. But it was amazing to see my fellow students band together, hugging and crying and holding up candles around the quad for a student that most of us barely knew.
    Afterwards, the choir freshmen and I were kind of a mess, so the upperclassmen took us to the music room and sat us down, asking if there was anything they could do to help us process this tragedy that had occurred only the day after most of us moved in. And one of them started playing he piano, a sad, beautiful Ingrid Michaelson song. We learned the song -The Chain- and we sang it together, the acoustics in the music hall accentuating our unified voices, and as we sang the chills ran up my spine, and it made me feel nostalgic, and I thought about a boy. Then, we played more music, and sang and danced, and it was like an episode of Glee.
    That's what my school is. It's a family. It's becoming a home. And I am in love with this place, because even though the girls across the hall have boys over every night, and my backpack has left bruises in my shoulders, I can see why God called me here, of all places. He brought me a little community where I can make a difference for His glory, and I only hope to do so to the best of my ability.
    Sorry for the lack of GIFs and pictures in this post, Rose and Mercy. I still don't know how to use this damn computer.
    Mercy, I'll here from you tomorrow!
    Oh, and probably see y'all on Labor Day. Surpriiiiiise! -Laura :)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment