Thursday, August 14, 2014

Hello gurls,

I've sort of been thinking about school a lot recently. It's almost here and as sad as I am to see summer go, I'm also excited for fall. (and not just because I'm listening to "Fall" by Ed. but that might be part of the reason)
No gurls, I really am ready. I've decided that in the past couple days. My wardrobe has started to shift to jeans, closed toe shoes, and the occasional sweater. Tea is being drunk hot more than iced, and it's almost my birthday. All signs that summer is starting to close.
And people keep saying "this summer has seemed so short!" which it has, but as I think of all the things I've done this summer, I realize that I got in a significant amount of stuff.

  • Went on vacation to Florida
  • Watched two of my siblings graduate
  • Went to the beach multiple times
  • Had camp fires
  • Eaten my weight in watermelon
  • Had many impromptu sleepovers
  • Got my drivers permit
  • Eaten s'mores
  • Re-watched many Harry Potter movies
  • Did regular walking 5-7 times a week (until my dog broke her leg....)
  • Eaten healthier
  • Finished Doctor Who
  • Read so many books
  • Acquired my very own keyboard piano
  • Served in Hartford for an incredible week
  • Went on vacation to New Hampshire
  • Went canoeing
  • Stayed up late and slept in
  • and had to say goodbye to Judah as he drove away to college.... I'm still grieving that loss

and so many other things

Gurls, summer is a short time. It's never as long as the books and movies make it out to be but this one was very successful and I highly intend on cramming more things in the rest of this month. More dresses will be worn, more books will be read, and more ice cream cones will be eaten. Because I already am missing the long days of doing nothing, all those visits to Dairy Cream and even the late night hangouts at youth group. I don't know if suddenly I've started to like people more, or the people around me suddenly got a lot cooler, or I'm lying to myself so I think I had a great summer, but I really have enjoyed all those eat and hangouts. ... ... ... I think youth group people read this. It's okay guys. I really do love you 

But, I'm also okay with the fact that school is coming up.

School gives me a sense of achievement everyday when I close the books and know that I gave it everything I have and maybe took in some knowledge (I can hear Mercy groaning). And because I'm going to be a *shudders* senior and will hopefully have some time on my hands (thanks to the fact that I'm not going to be applying to colleges and doing other scary things like that) I really want to help out the other kids with their school (and now I can hear Mercy screaming). I know that last year was a little rough for everyone in different ways and I want that to change.
My mom says that I need a Senior Project this year. Something big that will take me a crap load of time or work and that she can give me a big grade on and I'll have something significant to show her at the end of the year. I'm thinking of giving Lydia weekly piano lessons. But maybe I'll tutor Mercy in math (and now I think she probably died) or Ethan in science. Maybe I'll write a book. Or maybe I'll paint the back side of the garage. Either way, my mind is flowing with ideas and hopes for this coming year. And believe me, this is probably going to end by the Tuesday of our first week of school. But who cares?
And I know that we all have hopes and fears for this coming school year. We have to let the summer end and welcome in something new. We have goodbyes and hellos to say. Let go of familiar faces and feelings and welcome in a whole ton of new. Maybe that's a new school, new classes, new responsibilities, or even just trying to get back into a swing of things after a good couple months of nothing. But whatever each of us is facing, lets face it with open arms and wide smiles. We can't stop it from coming. Last time I checked, none of us are Time Lords. So why try and keep it from coming. It's going to be scary and a helluva ride but it's going to be great. I just know these things.
And lets make a pact to not stop this blog. I know we've said it before but things are going to change soon. Mercy and Laura only have a week or two before they start their classes and Rose and I will start again probably soon after that. But let's try and figure things out so that our little third space on the internet doesn't have to stop. Even if that means switching up posting orders for a certain college freshman, or giving a little leeway for late posts due to class trips, SATs, or tons of crap called homework. Or taking weeks off when we get to midterms or finals or graduations.

This is all still weird to type out because it still is summer and there is still time left to squish things in so I'm just going to stop and REPLY TO YOUR POSTS! yay.
except all I have to say is that Rose, your post sounds like you're taking drugs. just throwing that out there because it's what everyone was thinking.

and Mercy, please be happy. and come rant to me if you need it. which I know you probably do. Because I'm pretty sure I know what you were talking about.
and be happy. also be proud of me for including this. i just know all the right ways to cheer you up and this is one of them :) you're welcome 

And Laura, you got this whole college thing. I know you do. I can see why you're so freaky and emotional and everything... but I think that the other 3/4ths of us can see how tremendously you're going to do.
this song is for

But I have to go read Emma and soak in the beautiful weather that is hinting at the season to come. I need to play with my dog, call Subway, take a walk with Ethan and do so many other things that need to happen. I hope you Backus girls are having the most beautiful time in Cape Cod and I sincerely hope that I will get to see you soon. Like 3 or 4 days soon.
<3 Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment