Thursday, February 5, 2015

I wanted something clever, but my brain can't handle that.

Hands are weird because one of them can do absolutely everything without a problem and the other one can’t even hold a spoon
Brains…brains are the weird thing. In order to do all of the things your brain needs to do, it can only spend so much space and energy on manual dexterity. So (very) early in your development, it just picks a hand and says “This one…I’m going to train this one to be good and dedicated and powerful. It will get the finest schooling, the best tutors. I will lavish all of my attention upon it. I will communicate with it constantly, ask it how it feels, comfort it when it is hurt, praise it when it does well. It will be my greatest achievement. 
That other hand, though, f**k that hand.”

A conversation that was happening on Tumblr with Hank Green and someone else and since my brain is dead from being up early and working too many hours in a row, I decided to post it because it's cool. And interesting and makes me think about human develoopment (leaving my spelling error in because it made me smile. But crap if I left all the spelling errors in, you wouldn't be able to understand what I'm trying to say..... I'm just so tired.) But yeah, brains are weird. 


Just the fact that brains are split up like this fascinates me. And I don't like to think of myself as "a left brain person" or "a right brain" because I think it's too boxy. But it makes me feel good when I can enjoy myself doing something like algebra and then also have a perfectly fun time writing or drawing. But something like playing piano, which in it's way requires both sides of the brain, satisfies me the most. 

well I have a crap healthy mind 
Anyway, I realize that this is short and silly, but I have things to do. Busy, busy weekend. I hope all of yours are lovely and restful. Or productive. Whichever you need. 
<3 G

No comments:

Post a Comment