Monday, January 12, 2015

I'm going back to the start

Good evening.

    I'm too lazy to put a picture at the beginning of my post like I usually do. Being back at school has made me a grade-A procrastinator. However, my Mondays this semester are a lot less hectic, and with my anatomy lab moved to the afternoon instead of night, I have plenty of time before my theater meeting to crank out a decent post.
    I think.
    Well, here goes.
    I thoroughly enjoyed all of your posts from last week. Mercy, your post made me feel a lot better, and I loved how indefatigably Mercyish it was. I quite literally laughed out loud. Rose, your post gave me an existential crisis but was otherwise normal and ranty for you. Oh, and I miss you too, thanks for mentioning that :) Grace, your post made me feel awfully nostalgic. I think everyone goes through a time in their life when they're waiting for it to begin. And I'm not going to give you some lecture about how you're an ungrateful slug and you should just make the most out of what you have because there are starving children in Africa, because those rants didn't help me at all when I was in your situation. All I'm going to say is that yes, it sucks, and you probably feel unfathomably useless, but it's just the season of life that God has you in at the moment. Greater things have yet to come, and I know He's going to use a lovely person such as yourself to accomplish earth-shattering things one day. You can do it babe.
   
***
    So, I'm back at school and I'm mostly out of my depressed funk. Before I started classes I did a week of community service and volunteering with some of my fellow students, and it really altered my perspective. I remembered what God had called me to do, and what impact He had in mind for me, and it really inspired me to start off this spring semester anew, with an enlightened, unselfish perspective, unlike the one that drives me to the depths of my self-doubt and anxiety.
    There's a great big world out there, beyond myself and my insecurities. My hometown of Bridgeport -the dingy place I've been trying to get away from for my entire life- is actually beautiful. Beautiful and interesting and diverse, and perfect in its own imperfect way. And it took nearly nineteen years and four days of community service for my silly little self to realize that. And I have since been motivated to love my city- not just appreciate it, but love it by actively helping out in my community to make it a better place.
    Anyway, that's what I learned last week. Today was my first day of classes, and I saw all of my amazing friends and caught up with people and went to choir practice. And throughout all of the running around and waiting in line at the cafeteria and hugging the people I missed the most, I just felt happy. Happy and at home and challenged, in the best sense of the word. And I can't wait to see what God does over these next few months :)
   Oh, and my friend Rachel from SHU introduced me to this fantastic band called Jukebox the Ghost, and they are bae with whipped cream and a cherry on top. Just....listen to them:
this one is also particularly fantastic:
I love everything sung by them ever.
    Well, I have educational things to accomplish, so I'll talk to you gurls later. Mercy, we shall hear from you tomorrow!
--Laura :)

No comments:

Post a Comment