Thursday, December 4, 2014

This is the end

"Wait!" Said Samuel. "Because you saved me...."

"...I offer you my eternal friendship and protection. From now on, whenever you need protection on your travels, just call me up and I swear to you safe travels." Jane gave him a smile while Uncle Chris looked on with more than slight jealousy.
its okay. I love you more than JarPad


"You are more than kind now that you're back to being yourself." Jane said. "But I think Chris has got my back for the moment. Though I'm sure we'll call you when we're traveling by pirate ship." They then climbed into their car and away they flew. As their car disappeared over the horizon, everyone on board stood in silence. Scurvy Steve Dreadbeard was thinking of the rum in the lower deck that had been spilled during Jane and Samuel's epic fight. Pepper thought back to when they innocently left port, thinking it was going to be smooth sailing to deliver the cargo. No one expected to bump into a pirate ship, live though the attack, take down a feared pirate who was actually a demon, and then be saved by strangers in a magical flying machine. Byron hugged Miranda and enjoyed the moment of safety and sanity. Miranda thought about what Samuel had said and what she would be dealing with back at home. And of course, Samuel was grateful that he had been saved, tragically of course, but saved.
Cabin boy James lifted his hand towards the sky in a final farewell to the disappeared strangers and then turned towards the rest of the crew. "Are we going to prepare to land?" he asked timidly. 
"Of course we are, boy." Pepper said also turning from the skyline and towards land. 

*******

Miranda sat in the bow of the Snarfing Charley, gazing dreamily starboard and thinking bitter sweetly over the past couple weeks. They had been very surprising and as much as she needed to get back home, she knew she'd miss her adventures and the odd friends she'd made so quickly. Adventures never go the way you're hoping or assuming they're gonna go and maybe not even when you think they're going to, but I guess that's what makes them exciting.
"I hope I'm not interrupting anything." Samuel asked, approaching quietly. 
"Oh! No, of course not. Just trying to stay out of they way while the crew does their sailing thing." 
"Ah, yes. Good thinking. I offered to help, but no one seems to be quite looking directly at me, so I decided to stop." He let out an awkward chuckle. 
"I'm sure they'll adjust themselves after some time. I'm sure you can't blame them." Miranda said, making sure to look him straight in the eye. She seemed to actually be more comfortable with him now, despite what had just happened. 
"Yes, I'm sure you're right. Thank you, Miranda." He smiled.
"Anytime, Samuel." She smiled back. Just then Byron approached them. He hesitantly smiled at Samuel.
"Miranda, do you know how we plan on getting home? This is only the first stop of the Snarfing Charlies trip."
"Oh I hadn't really thought about it." Miranda had never traveled out of her own home town. "Samuel, you know this area. You should also know other captains here,. Which would be your suggestion?" They both turned towards him but were surprised to see him looking straight ahead, unblinking, the blood draining from his face.
"Señor Edoardo Enrico." He whispered.
"What?" Both Miranda and Byron asked. 
"Señor Edoardo Enrico. He's.... he's expecting me. And you." He looked up at Miranda. "I...er, the monster inside me, promised to bring you to him. He plans to have you for his own." Samuel sat down next to Miranda. Byron kicked the floor boards and ran his hands through his hair. 
"We'll figure this out. Don't worry, Miranda. We'll figure this out." 
"Yes. But how? When I don't show up with you, he'll have every guard out for me and her. And I'm sure the stories of me being possessed won't stay silent for long which will leave the Snarfing Charlie being hunt. 
"Then we mustn't tell anyone where we are going. Or when. Or how!" Miranda jumped up. 
"We'll figure it out." Byron said again putting an arm around Miranda's waist.
"Together." Samuel said putting one of his arms around her shoulders. Miranda looked at them both. 
"Why of course we will. No one, not even the Prince of Spain, will take the most feared sword fighter on the seven seas to be their wife." And she smiled. 






Will our feisty Miranda and her boys stay safe from the Prince of Spain? Maybe. But now is not the time to tell that part of the story. We might tell it at some point. I'm a bit sad that it's over, but I had a wonderful November telling this story with the rest of the foursome. Thanks to you gurls for being okay going another week because I wasn't able to finish last Friday. I'm excited for regular posting next week so Laura, no pressure but I'm counting on something spectacular <3 G

No comments:

Post a Comment