Monday, May 26, 2014

Summertime, America, barbecue and Country music

Hay gurls hayyyy!
Happy Memorial Day! Summer is finally here :)

    I'm listening to my Zac Brown Band station on Pandora, because it's Memorial Day and the beginning of summer, and Country music, America, and summer go together, soaked in a big barbecue marinade and washed down with ice cold lemonade :)
    Except, summer doesn't officially start for me until a week from Friday.
    And even though that's when I finish school, summer isn't on the calendar until June 21st.
    Whatever. It was 86 degrees today. I went for a run and my whole neighborhood smelled like grilled chicken and freshly cut grass and sun-baked asphalt. I'm a bit warm right now, in shorts and a t-shirt. The breeze feels like a soft, warm hug- so unlike the harshly bitter winter wind, which keeps me indoors until I brave the frozen tundra outside with two pairs of pants & a scarf wrapped around my neck and face.
    So, I say it's summer. Because it sure as shoot feels like it :)
    Speaking of which, I loved how each of you described your own versions of summer in your posts from last week- definitely put me in a happy mood.
    Mercy- I liked all the lists in your post. I am so glad I now know so much about you. I mean, I knew some of those things already, but it was nice to see that deep down you are a very interesting person.
    And an organized one, who writes lists. ;)
    Rose- you should win an award for Best Little Sister Revenge Acceptance Speech Ever. When I am president I promise to make that happen. Your taxes will still be through the roof though.
    And, Gracie- I listened to both of those TFiOS songs and was thoroughly touched, by them and the last paragraph of your post. I totally agree- you gurls have had an inexplicably awesome impact on my life, especially in the these past couple of years.
    I feel like we were definitely friends, before those two weeks we spent together, when your mom was in California and Angel had Charlie and my grandma died. But we were the friends who had fun the few times we spent together each year, but kind of folded back up into our separate lives when  your gray van pulled out of our driveway and we ran after you, waving our goodbyes as you departed down our street. And then we spent two weeks together. We lived around each other long enough for us to let loose around one another, in a deeper way than ever before. We like, bonded. I don't even know why things changed after that visit- was it the crazy pictures we took in our backyard, or the amount of time G&M spent with our extended family and at our church, or just the sheer hours on end we spent together, laughing and yelling and watching all of our favorite movies?
    I don't even know. It was a new, deeper level of friendship. The start of something new and beautiful (I got both the High School Musical and Ed Sheeran references covered, aren't y'all proud?).
    And now, a year and a half later, The Foursome still rocks. We have crazy phonecalls every few weeks- I don't think I've ever told you gurls this, but the days you call on are almost always bad days for me, because I'm stressed or overwhelmed with my inner sadness or just a grumpy, PMS teenager. I feel like God plans those days, because hearing your voices cracking jokes and sympathizing over our Third Space between the telephones always cheers me up, healing me and helping me to remember what I have forgotten: happier days are always ahead. My life is not determined by my final Anatomy & Physiology grade. Jesus and chocolate fix pretty much everything. God is pretty amazing, and so are you three, and I am beyond grateful to our Creator for blessing me with you awkward, beautiful, caring, vibrant friends.
    And now? We have this blog. We're doing the Hartford Project because of you gurls (and Sara). We are literally making the world a better place, one teeny tiny step at a time, because we have banded together and agree that the world needs to suck less. And maybe we can help by being ourselves and ministering to a few people, whether through the laughs we publish on the Internet or by offering a helping hand, to those in need as well as to ourselves and our equally dysfunctional families.
    We have countless private jokes. We have weird traditions and anniversaries and birthdays we celebrate. We have The Aisle Runner to make us laugh on our wedding days, providing our husbands at the altar with a final chance to decide if they can handle our crazy. we even have our own Pinterest board. We are a drink disaster of four completely different yet utterly identical people, put together by our crazy Father in Heaven, Who decided He wanted to do something fearfully weird and amazing with us. What that is, I am not sure, but I cannot wait to see His plan unfold for us four <3
    Speaking of our Pinterest board, I thought I would end this post with a bit from that:


how we fangirl

this needs to happen sometime soon :)

enough said.

My weekly dose of JarPad!
I wonder how many people who follow our board think we accidentally pin P.F. Chang recipes and Tumblr stories to our board when in reality our private jokes are just that weird.
--Laura :)

No comments:

Post a Comment