Monday, January 27, 2014

Mansfield Abbey and Emma's Persuasion of Pride & Sensibility

It's a Monday (I was too lazy to find that GIF)
    Good evening girls! I greatly enjoyed all your posts last week. The combination fangirling, lists of how to be happy, and things we shall accomplish at the Foursome Reunion, both inspired and motivated me to add to Gracie's List Of All The Things We Will Do (or hope to do) While We Live With Each Other Over Single's Awareness Weekend:
-Watch a Jane Austen film or two
    You have probably already guessed the theme of this post (and if you haven't, shame on you). I'm a Jane Austen fangirl, but you already knew that. My appreciation of her novels is quite possibly even higher than my level of Potterheadedness. There, I said it. I read Pride & Prejudice my freshman year of high school, when I was a bit shorter and had bushy eyebrows and severe social anxiety. I stayed inside during that endless winter (do you girls remember? When we got nailed by at least one storm a week and the snow drifts accumulated to piles high over our heads?) and did my best to get through the first one hundred pages of the novel. To be honest, I was not a huge fan of P&P in the beginning. I found it vastly confusing- I could not keep the Bennet sister's names straight, the vocabulary was singularly esoteric (I've come a long way since then, thanks to extensive SAT prep) and all the characters confused me to no end. In fact, I found Mr. Darcy really annoying, until I came to the part of the book that hooked me, in which he nervously comes to visit Elizabeth on a warm spring evening and says,
"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
    That was it. That was when I knew I had found my favorite book.
    From that point three years ago I have read Pride & Prejudice two and a half times, watched the movie (Colin Firth) at least ten times, and the other movie (Matthew McDreamy McFadyen) too many times to count. I have also read every other Jane Austen novel (minus the daunting Persuasion). Also, I have decided who out of the Foursome is which Jane Austen heroine.
    This is my favorite thing to do. Which Harry Potter character is Grace? Clearly professor Lupin (but we already decided that many moons ago;). What VlogBrother is Rose? Hank. He's sassy. Which Hobbit is Mercy? Merry. And now I have compiled a list of us as the main characters in some of the greatest novels ever written, as well as reasons why:
Rose: Emma. Before you yell at the computer screen, Rosie-Posie, let me explain my reasoning. Emma Woodhouse is a clever, sassy young woman who rarely leaves her hometown and is honest about the faults she observes in the lives of others. Emma doesn't really enjoy the company outside of her closest friends, but tolerates her small-town circle of friends out of politeness. Arguably, Emma is 45643 times more social than you, Rose, and she meddles with the love lives of others more than you care to (because she's a FANGIRL), but to be honest she is the most like you, because you have an obscure personality, which makes you hard to pinpoint. I tried my best, okay?
Grace and Mercy: Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Rosie and I both agree that you two have the exact sister relationship as the Sense & Sensibility heroines. Grace is reserved, loving, mature and responsible, Mercy is dramatic, passionate, bright and emotional. Despite your differences you get along really well, and you bring out each other's best qualities when you do awesome stuff together :)
Me (Laura): Elizabeth Bennet. At least, I wish I was like her. I think I am a bit, and Rosie agrees with me, and I trust her opinion since she probably knows me better than anyone else on earth. I'm politely sarcastic, close to my dad, and enjoy laughing at the absurdity of modern society. I do not have Elizabeth's ease or good judgement, but I've been told I have "fine eyes." Plus I would marry Mr. Darcy in a heartbeat, especially if he looked like JarPad- which reminds me:

he doesn't mind.
    Anyway, this post has been sufficiently long and silly. Mercy, I cannot wait to read your whimsical writing tomorrow, and Rosie and Gracie, y'all had better round off the week right.
--Laura :)

No comments:

Post a Comment