Monday, December 16, 2013

Just a starving high school senior

Greetings, people of earth,

Grace, this is what I thought of when I read your post on Thursday. It's not even like I watch Friends on a daily basis, but in the Laura Backus Book of Law you simply cannot ask someone how they are doing without channeling your inner Joey Tribbiani.
    Anyway. I'm doing good.
    Except Grace said I couldn't just say "I'm good" so I'm going to elaborate. Sorry if this is another Deep Post, ladies (actually I'm not sorry. I am who I am).
   


     I watched Psych the Musical last night, so I'm in a 70% good mood. I know Grace and Mercy haven't seen it yet so I won't go into detail, except to say it was a worthwhile waste of my Sunday night.
    The other 30% of my mood is pretty much the same as it's always been. I am starting to comprehend that no matter what I do, some part of me is always going to be very dark and serious. Wanna know something morbid and unethical? Death and the Afterlife fascinate me. I don't worry about dying, so I worry about other things, things like sticking to my guns when I'm out on my own next year, and getting my acceptance letter from Elms College (they said it would be here in mid-December. Today is the exact middle day of the month, and if it doesn't come today there will be blood). Is that normal?
    Also, I've developed this unhealthy habit of starving and then eating nonstop. I think it's because half the time I'm too busy to eat, the other half I have nothing to do, so I raid the kitchen. Either I have a tapeworm, or I'm finally hitting my growth spurt. I bite my nails when I'm hungry, too.
    Otherwise, I think I'm doing okay, Gracie. I laugh a lot more now, and I'm getting into shape- my neighbor and I have started running together (out goal is to have sexy runner's legs by the spring). I still hate being by myself. Even if I'm reading a book I have to be around other people. If I curl up in the chair in my room alone, with the Fellowship of The Ring -I am currently perusing it and it is simply fantastic- the silence overwhelms me and I start to think too much. Half the time my thoughts are brilliant, the other half they bring me down- I'm such a bundle of contradictions sometimes that it makes me want to either tear my hair out or go running in a field while listening to Mumford and Sons- I'm weird and self-absorbed, right?
    I'm bet you're glad you asked how I was doing, Grace. On a happier note I have been knitting like crazy, and people are even starting to pay me for it! Chateau de Backus has been blasting Christmas music nonstop- all my favorites, such as Michael Buble, Straight No Chaser, and George Winston's piano solos. I have been watching plenty of Doctor Who, White Christmas, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The snow here is beautiful. Last night I walked Laura J home, and her driveway was littered with icicles that had fallen from the trees, and they glittered like diamonds in the moonlight. I have a serious love affair with moonlight. It makes everything more meaningful; no wonder so many people fall in love under the light of a full moon. Last night it shone off the snow and iced-over tree branches, bathing everything in a blue light and making the frozen trees sparkle like stars. I didn't know something could be so beautiful. I came to the conclusion that the Creator of our world is so awe-inspiring, even the cold winter's night brings glory to Him with all of its splendor.
    Well, that's all I have for today kids. According to my official birthday countdown, I turn eighteen in five weeks (!!!). Mercy, I can't wait to hear how you are doing tomorrow.
--Laura :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment